Thursday, June 14, 2007

Dare to Defy

I am bloody tired after a day at work poring through technical information on RFID. I tell you, it’s not that difficult to understand but it’s like mugging for an examination for 8 full hours. (Ok, what am I doing online blogging???)
If it’s any consolation, at least I had a wonderful tiramisu during lunch to make up for the energy sapping activity. If only I get to dine at cozy little Italian restaurants every afternoon. Apparently, it appears to be the lifestyle of my immediate superior and he’s treating himself right for his hard work.

Ok, back to the main topic. I was reading through a friend’s newly updated blog entry and she talked about a big regret in her life. And that was to prioritize work over family only to be unappreciated at work and overwhelmed by office politics.
The entry triggered a series of thoughts in my head.
I recalled News radio 93.8 FM asking listeners on their opinion of working in the civil versus the private sector.
I remembered my struggles as I deliberated on joining an MNC, statutory board or a relatively modest SME.

All my life, branding and prestige mattered to me. I remember I chose my junior college for its high profile name instead of the quality of education it can provide for me. It just had to be Raffles although I am sure I would have a more memorable time in Hwa Chong. It was an elitist sort of modus operandi that was reflected in my life choices.

But somehow along the way, I realized that it’s not the prestige of the institution you attend and work for that matters. It’s not about being in the ‘best’ places. Because you may not be having the best of times there. I am glad it did not take me a lifetime to realize this fact of life.
At the end of the day, it’s not the hours you clocked in over the weekends that matter. If you’re slogging your guts out in the wrong place, your efforts will yield nominal results.
In an organization that’s too big, you can hardly effectuate change at your junior post. Everyone’s eyeing the post that the boss above you vacated. What are your chances?

Suddenly, you realized that to get your Lamborghini, you cannot be a worker ant in that nest of a few thousand. You have to be a shareholder of an organization. The sums are pretty easy to do. An MNC with a few thousand workers generates a profit of 100 million. Apply the trickle down effect. What are you going to get in bonuses after the board has taken its lion’s share? Let’s just quote verbatim from a famous phrase, “It’s peanuts.”

(NB: Take my groundless statements with a pinch of salt. After all, measurements of fulfillment and happiness are subjective. I am just applying my standard to this issue.)

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

that is so true Ivy. its always a matter of perspective when it comes to contentment. are we happy to be a big fish in a small pond? or do we work so hard to survive being a small fish in a big pond?

i say? Work life balance baby!! come 4pm, and its off from work i go :P some idiots in office always say when they see me leave, "wahhhh... so early ah??". i always reply, "not early, on time :) i'm efficient!" and smile at the dickhead. LOL! don't know why some people like to act stessed and busy. stupid.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Aileen said...

Well, working sucks big time really. I question myself so many times when I'm doing office job, what the heck I am doing this for and for whom? I don't have any answers. I often hear office workers saying that they will quit SOON, but the time never seems to arrive.

After watching Belinda's documentary and from my own experiences, I realized why some pple are willing to give up all the luxuries they have to go to the other parts of the world and give their all. Because once they have reached the point when they could afford a lamborghini, there's just no more joy & satisfaction in throwing their notes even in the air.

Did I tell u? If God has called me into the missions field, promising all my woes will be taken care of, I will go anytime, anywhere. :) Cheers to me baby.

1:15 AM  
Blogger Xinyi said...

I so agree with your post. I actually chose Hwa Chong, but somehow ended up in RJ. I hated it there; despite the prestige and stuff, it was probably the 2 unhappiest years of my life.

2:38 PM  
Blogger I.V.Y. said...

To Xinyi:
Yea, same here. I didn't know you feel like I do. Wish I could have chosen Hwa Chong. Perhaps my life would be different. In fact, I should have just taken an ARTS stream course instead of Triple Science.
Obviously, I was too narrow-minded then. Oh well.
Just in introspect I guess. Now, I just have to make wiser choices. Learning experience.

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!