Thursday, May 03, 2007

A Cut Above the Rest (Part 2)

I have always felt that plastic surgery has its place in the medical profession in the field of reconstructive surgery. This is important for it helps accident victims regain back (albeit not 100%) what they may have lost. It’s also for patients born with physical abnormalities so that they can look normal like the rest of us.

But for the purpose of enhancing what appears to be fine?

Well, to me, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

The thing is, many beliefs that I have hold fast in my earlier years have taken such a bad beating as I learn the ways of life of the human race.

I don’t believe in them anymore.

I don’t believe in natural beauty. I think perfection is what the world holds in high esteem.

We don’t care how you did it, how you achieved it. The process is not important. What matters is the RESULT.
So, as long as you look fabulous now, we find you smoking hot. (In fact, the best part is, we may never know.)
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

When my beliefs were uprooted, I was devastated. Then disappointed. Then angry. And finally, with my ‘if you can’t beat em’, join ‘em’ attitude, I have come to terms with this fact of life and learnt to accept it. Grudgingly.

Grudgingly because I did not come from a family with parents who will go “Darling, it’s your 18th birthday next week. We decided to give you a spanking new butt to commemorate your coming of age.” (ooh, pardon the pun!)
Grudgingly because I have witnessed so many beautiful people get picked over the really talented ones.

In my utopia, looks didn’t matter. I was brought up by a mum who told me that brains were all that matter.
Heck no! She deliberately left out some extremely important information.
Until now, with all the evidence refuting her paradigm, she continues her tirade lambasting me for being shallow and superficial.
Oh bother!


XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Alright. So, I have no grounds to be bitter and resentful. Why am I so worked up when honestly speaking, I don’t look like an ogress?
If we weren’t picky, I could pass off as being mighty fine. Ok, too short. But overall, pretty good.

The point is that, it’s not good enough for me. At least, not for the vain girl driven by the sin of aesthetic avarice.

All celebrities have done something to themselves. People on the “World’s Most Beautiful People” List included.
And our latest export to Taiwan (who appears on the Local Edition of this month’s Maxim) is one example.
From the audience response, PLASTIC SURGERY does seem like the way to go.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

We all tend to magnify our flaws. I never thought Aileen’s nose was un-pretty. But she whines about it all the time.

And I want eyes enlargement. Think Jap anime characters’ size. Which is, by the way, totally uncalled for and crazy. But Ayumi Hamasaki’s eyes are the standard of beauty.

Ok, let’s see my list of surgical procedures:

1. Deepening of double eye lids' fold (yes, I know, I have double eyelids. I want deep set eyes, ok?)
2. Limbs Lengthening (Make me 1.7 m)
3. Otoplasty or "pinback procedure" for my stick-out ears
Truthfully speaking, I didn’t know my ears stick out. But apparently it wasn’t good enough for Vic (a fashion stylist) and he told his protégé that I cannot wear a chignon bun for a photo shoot because my ears stick out. Bloody hell.
4. Mesotherapy (to reduce whatever fatty areas I have—toned body without the workout!)
5. Lip filler + butt filler.
6. Blah blah blah…

Looks like the list just got longer once I decided to make a physical memo.
Oooooh. Talk about people addicted to plastic surgery. Now I get it. It’s this sudden obsession that everything’s wrong, and hey, you can do something about it!!!

Then again, re-looking at the list, it seems crazy. The kind of money ‘invested’ into perfecting oneself physically can be put to better use.
It is really STUPID.
And to spend all your energies/ time/ money on your looks, it appears SAD. Painful and sad. I know I’m contradicting my stand.

But to live for the adoration and compliments of the world, it’s not going to work. Not for long. Because you will have to constantly live up to their expectations. You thrive on that. Now, it’s going to be your main purpose in life.
It’s TRAGIC!



XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Truthfully, I will never start on the list.

First and foremost, I cannot go “Missing” for 1 year to do all those stuff. Next, there's nothing too wrong with me that warrants surgery. And lastly, I really have better things to do with my $$.

And heck no, I live for my own applause, not anyone else’s.

In all, my take on plastic surgery:
At the end of the day, it’s all about embracing yourself positively. And if it helps you love yourself better, I would say, “Why Not?”

If changing something about your body makes you strut confidently, then, by all means, go for it gal! Cos this Happiness DOES change your life, for good!

PostScript: When we often comment, “Hey, that celeb looks a bit like..another celeb!!!”, it is a telling sign that they chose the same template off a particular plastic surgeon’s computer simulated program before going under the knife.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

well written entries you have there! :D agree that at the end of the day, its all about embracing yourself and accepting our flaws.

you don't need surgery at all lah my dear!! pretty enough already! :)

the furthest i'll go is blepharoplasty (double eyelid surgery). but not that i need it anyway (thank God!) :P

8:09 AM  
Blogger I.V.Y. said...

Yep, you have very nice double eye lids!!! Very even natural ones! =)

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! indeed a very well-written entry. I don't think there's any wrong in plastic surgery, girls just want to look good because like what you said, the world has high regards for perfection.

If i have too much money on hand, I definitely will go for a nose job and liposuction to get the perfect figure~!

10:56 AM  
Blogger I.V.Y. said...

Thanks Lani for your opinion! =)

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!