Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Legalised Daylight Robbery

Went to watch Avatar with my husband in Suzhou Science and Cultural Arts Centre because we were too impatient to catch it back in Singapore. Our decision resulted in forking out 100 RMB per ticket (20.50 SGD). It’s the most expensive movie ticket we’ve ever bought!
Which brings me to the point; crowds in China camp outside cinema theatres to buy exorbitantly priced tickets to watch a movie not in their native language. The average monthly income of an urbanite in China is 2800 RMB (569 SGD) but the population here spends money like they have lots of cash to burn. Prices of consumer products, food and entertainment defy the theory of relativity.
The million dollar question is: What’s the secret to leading this sort of lifestyle?

Suzhou Science and Cultural Arts Centre

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Sensei Michael said...

The secret to this lifestyle? Plenty.

1. Doting (not necessarily rich) grandparents.
2. Doting (not necessarily rich) parents.
3. Doting sugar daddy/mummy (the latter is somewhat rarer).
4. Doting boyfriend/husband (only for the ladies - poor man).
5. There must be a reason why there are so many girls at KTVs.
6. All of the above.

I remember being shocked when one of my teachers (her pay possibly about RMB2500) plopped down a branded bag that cost her about RMB4000. I wouldn't even spend that amount myself, on my pay!

6:44 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Wow... that's so expensive!!! :S Already the hubs and I are complaining about the expensive tickets in India (approx RM20 something), but this takes the cake!!

8:57 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

And oh!!! I just read about Project 40 weeks!!! Congratssss!!!!! :D

8:59 AM  
Blogger I.V.Y. said...

To Michael: I attribute it to 'hidden kickbacks' the Chinese derive--from whatever sources. As yes indeed, having doting + wealthy parents/ lovers helps. China is flooded with multi-millionaires in USD terms, anyway. =)

To Jenn: Yes, it's this expensive over here. Crazy, isn't it? And thank you for the well wishes. '40 weeks' is a script but of course bb plans are set for 2010 too.

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!