Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Noise: Hear/ Listen, Digest, Excrete

Less than 1 1/2 months into the job, I am starting to receive passionately written letters in my mailbox and ad hoc visitations to my office. I believe these "kind" attention from opportunistic employees is dispensed in a bid to 'suss the new manager out'.
There they will stand, relating in earnest their side of the story, their grievances and difficulties. Woe betide these long suffering souls. Honestly, I am surprised they lasted so long in the company.

Am I the "Messiah" they have been praying for?
Do they think I have the authority to veto decisions made by the executive M.D.?
Are they trying to capitalise on my apparent naiveté?

Here I am, trying to keep my focus in spite of the background noise. After all, apart from learning all about the trade, I am ultimately numbers driven.
Organizational management is definitely part of my R&R but without the fuel ($$), there will be no existence of the organization per se.
First things first. Especially when we're talking about navigating a SME/SMB.

Listen versus Hear:
When you are listening, you are actively trying to hear something.
In contrast, hearing is something that happens without any intentional effort.

Personal modus operandi: Listen, absorb, retain, digest, filter the crap, keep the nutrients, store them for growth, place the nonsense in the recycle bin and restore them to 'trash' crappers in future.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Aileen said...

Hey hey, you are no stranger to this. Practice your do-work-look-away-still-can-listen technique on them lah!

You did it so well with me... :)

12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish not acquiesce in on it. I regard as warm-hearted post. Especially the designation attracted me to review the intact story.

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have to express more your opinion to attract more readers, because just a video or plain text without any personal approach is not that valuable. But it is just form my point of view

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is useful to try everything in practise anyway and I like that here it's always possible to find something new. :)

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!