Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Definitely No “Swee”t Deal

The devil may have possessed me to walk into a theatre playing “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street”. It was unfortunate to be catching a movie on a Monday evening at 9.30pm with nothing of significance on the screen list save for a morbid musical. I had intended to watch “Kite Runner” but I would need a Porsche to get me to Cathy @ Handy Road within 20 minutes.

No spoilers here. But halfway into the movie, when Helena Bonham Carter was making human meat pies out of unfortunate victims, I was fidgeting in my seat thinking of getting French fries and a latte after it ends.
Yes, gore and macabre have no effect on me. It was shocking the first time blood spurted out from mangled throat arteries but as the gruesome scenes repeated themselves, I was rolling my eyes in disbelief.
How this crap nabbed 2 Golden Globe awards is totally beyond me.
Perhaps I am missing something here? Costume design, superb acting and commendable art direction? They didn’t appear that great to me anyhow.
I walked out hastily when it ended, wondering whether it would inspire any impressionable teenager to go on a throat slitting spree soon.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Ivy, I am so with you on this one. Perhaps they give the award to the effort the actor and actress in putting in for singing their parts as a non-professional singer?

I don't know why the critics love this show. I also thought that it was pretty crappy.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Happy CNY my dear friend!! I wish you a blessed time with your family, and a wonder year ahead! :)

Tell me about it man!! Dunno why, but sometimes the crappy things sell very well too!! This does not only apply to movies, but also to music. How people like justin timberlake manage to stay sucessful for so long still baffles me to this very minute. well, as they say, your cream my crap. lol.

Btw, i so wanna watch Kite Runner too!! so nice that it's showing over there in SG already! we're always so behind on the movie scene!! :( have you read the book before?

1:25 PM  
Blogger I.V.Y. said...

Yes folks! That's true. I had friends Sms-ing me later telling me how much they found the film a worthy watch.
Well, to each his own then. Cheerios to us-likeminded trio. =P

1:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!