Thursday, February 22, 2007

Shanghai Baby!

It’s another photos entry once again! My fingers are actually itching to type out a wordy morose piece, but since the festive season is still in the air, I shall restrain myself today.

Buildings and Highways:
[Road shots taken from inside the car using a Nokia N70. Sorry, digital camera ran out of battery.]
The skyscrapers are really tall, they soar above the highways.
Multi-tiered highways or rather, elevated highways: 高架

Interesting architecture (港陆广场)

Currently the tallest building in Shanghai, 420.5 meters high. (金茂大厦)
88 stories, houses the Grand Hyatt Shanghai Hotel on levels 53 to 87.
(上海环球金融中心) Building behind it: Touted to overtake Jin Mao Building by having 101 stories and being 492 meters high.

Microsoft making a statement on Shanghai’s tallest building at night

The famed Pearl of the Orient—iconic tourist attraction in Shanghai (东方明珠)


真杀风景! Nice cosmopolitan city, financial hub of China…but shamelessly ugly on the outside (and most likely on the inside too).

Public Transport’s (公交车) pretty good, traffic condition’s NOT!

I like this part of Shanghai. It’s less polluted and quieter:


Near the Shanghai Science Centre (上海科技馆)


An MRT station (地铁站) that people alight at to visit the Science Centre. This Science centre rocks! Better than Singapore Science Centre because it’s so comprehensive and the interactive department is definitely worth experiencing some hands-on science concepts! Didn’t visit it this time though. Need to spend an entire day there. By the way, their train is modeled after ours.


Some satellite dish looking object at the roundabout (世纪公园大道).


Ate Bah Ku Teh (肉骨茶) in this restaurant (Singaporean owned establishment):



(狮城阿隆肉骨茶)
Sounds like a 'finance' company from Singapore--loansharks!

Not very good. The soup takes too peppery. I like my bah ku teh soup more herbal. Putting pepper is plain cheating.

Oyster Omelette


Prawn Noodles (Teochew style)

Teh Tarik
Not good again. Too milky, I want to taste the tea in my teh please.


Still, it’s doing a roaring business because all of us people from Singapore and Malaysia miss our local food. Something’s better than nothing, right?


Lego Exhibition at a Posh Shopping Mall (forgot the name already):


I love Lego! These building blocks were my childhood companions.

Boo! (blur shot)
I am a pseudo Viking! But boy, am I fierce!
Mr. Giraffe and I


Dinnertime: Shanghainese Fare

Xiaolong Baos (小笼包)

Shrimp Dumplings and Spring Rolls (鲜虾饺子和春卷)

Sweet Glutinous Rice (八宝饭) Yucky!


Beef Noodles (红烧牛肉面)


Visited a bookshop in the same mall after dinner. Excellent place. Cheap books and great variety. All in Chinese though. No speed reading for me now. Didn't take night shots of the Bund (外滩)since this is not my first visit.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Shanghai looks lovely in your pics!! my pictures of shanghai are always very hazy as the pollution there is really bad :P

the lego giraffe is so cute! LOL! i never had legos until my little brother was born cuz he has eczema and is allergic to the wooden blocks we used to play (funny huh!!) :D

your food pics make me kinda hungry!! the prawn noodle looks great! (i'm a noodle person!). how come i never see such nice food when i was there? all i remember seeing were the super blant veggies drenched in oil and pork lard. ughhhhh.

11:46 AM  
Blogger I.V.Y. said...

Pollution is indeed a big problem there. It's a very grey city. Hm...perhaps I caught it on a relatively good day. =)

Tour groups don't feed us dishes like these featured on my blog. My first impression of China was also terrible food (when I went on holiday trip). Now, I know...must walk around ourselves to eat yummy stuff. ;-)

1:28 PM  
Blogger Xinyi said...

I miss sing food too..I can never get authentic char kuey teow here (they skip the sweet sauce):P.

Cute red dress, btw:).

4:40 PM  
Blogger I.V.Y. said...

To Xinyi:
Actually, you are right on target. The sauce used/ not used makes all the difference in capturing the taste we have grown to love and crave for in our SG food.
So, sometimes, even when the dishes look the part, they fail me in their taste factor.
=)

3:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!