Thursday, August 30, 2007

Birthday Present Number 1

This is the 1st birthday present that I have requested for this year.

Yes, ideally, the giver should take some effort to procure a gift that would delight his recipient instead of asking what she wants.

In reality…sometimes, this may not be possible due to the various circumstances combined. To spare many givers the headache, being direct and upfront about my wants is the only way to go. The trick is to state one’s requests according to the budgets of the givers.

In all, I think there are no hoo-has about our birthdays. To begin with, is it really an anniversary worth celebrating? Does our existence on Earth bring about any genuine cause for joy?

Maybe if I am the heiress to the Hilton/ Murdoch or Olsen empire, I would be happy to mark the occasion with free flow of bubbly to all. Or maybe I am a great philanthropist who have made lives better for the masses. Now, that brings great cheer to Mankind, doesn't it?

But busting our friends' bank accounts is definitely not going to up the level of happiness in our social circle.

So seriously, gifts are optional. I just don’t understand how difficult a mere “Happy Birthday” (in the form of a text message/ friendster comment/ e-card) can be for some people to dispense? After 3 years of remembering dear pals on their special day and NOT being able to inspire them to do likewise on mine, it drives home the point that honestly, I ought to not store them in my CPU after all.

On a HAPPY note, please let me know if you’re attending this seminar too. We will see each other there then. =) This may be my best gift yet. Who knows?

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

that's really sad isn't it? unfortunately there are people like these everywhere. i was in the same situation as you are, and nowadays i couldn't careless to even email / sms them on their birthdays anymore. what a bloody waste of my 20 cents when i can save it for my toilet visits at the mall.

i'd still remember some people i know who would find 20+ people to share a RM16.90 necklace for a friend... which is blardy pathetic in itself already but wait, they think that forking out 80-bloody-cents is "expensive" and they needed MORE people to share the present. i don't know about you, but i'd feel damn pissed if i was the recipient. like you said, its not about the gift but the giver's sincerity.

speaking of birthdays, have you receive my package yet? i hope it reaches you in time! :D

ps: not wishing you happy birthday as yet. will do so on the actual day! yay! :D

2:25 PM  
Blogger I.V.Y. said...

Dear Jenn,
Haha, so funny. True, in MY, a toilet trip within the mall requires $$. Not that I mind--cos most of them are pretty well maintained. =) It's better to use your 20 cents in this manner, I agree.

Oh, I don't have that many people who bothers giving me prezzies, so I haven't experienced the 20 persons for a 18 bucks gift...But that's really extreme man. I guess those roped in for the gift may be thinking..."What the heck! Ask me? I barely know her." Oh well. Too much.

I haven't received your package yet. Thanks in advance though. No need for excessive stuff, cos I really appreciate your personal friendship--it's a friendship across the Straits! How wonderful.

Nowadays, our local postal service pays part time uncles and aunties to deliver stuff. And it has been slower than normal. But packages do reach us safely! Will drop you a note once I receive it to dispel worries and send my thank yous!

XOXO,
Your equally OCD pal. ;-)

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh ... I have so many wants and needs in life that I make sure that my friends and family all know about it!

But still, it ain't working. I am not getting what I have hinted.

Oh well ... forget about gifts from others ... buy myself a gift of my own instead! :)

2:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello dearest Ivy!!! :D

PaiSeh! Long time no tag here as have been busy!!!

*THaNKs* soOo much for your lovely comments on my BLOG!!!

When is your Birthday, dear Ivy??? :D

Yeah~ Some people are very Bo Sim de~
Once or twice, we can brush it off!!!
But if everytimes also like this,
then we should know by then about
how much tat we stand in their hearts!!! :)

*HUGS*!!!

Heck care such people!!! Beside them~
There will always be people who cherish us for we are around too!!! :D

The Butterscotch Toffee Shimmering Hair & Body Spray sound really
appealing and..Yes, YUMMY *keke*!!! :D

I also will be worrying about
ants crawling to me if I will to use them!!!
*Haha*!!! :P

Take care always, Okie???
Hope everything always going great for u!!! :D

LotSa LoVe, VIVIEN!!! :D

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY DEARIE! may this year be the best for you and may all your wishes and dreams come true!

i get the "no heart" friends too, as i get older, the pals dwindle down to a miserable few, and even then they dont really bother *sigh* i guess thats life but then we can still be happy irregardless! happiness is a choice and i wish you all the joy in the world! :)

1:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday gal!

The anthony robbins seminar is really a great gift!! Hope u had enjoyed yourself there

11:32 PM  
Blogger I.V.Y. said...

Thank you Wilfrid, Lani, Jenn and Vivien. My actual birthday's on 5thSept so no one's exactly giving me a belated greeting. You are a group of sweeties I know online. Let's keep the friendship alive.

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!