Thursday, May 17, 2007

Hair-py Endings

Most of us go, “What the Hell Was She Thinking” when Britney Spears did a G.I. Jane and shaved her head. Bald, yes, BALD. Goodness gracious me!
She must have lost her marbles, along with her sense of style. Not that she had much sense to begin with.

Truth is, cutting one’s hair can be a very liberating experience.
Of course, going skinhead is a tad too extreme. But snipping off our locks can be a therapeutic treatment for weary souls.

I cut my long hair recently. A proper cut is overdue for my tresses and I decided to do it anyhow at the neighbourhood salon. No appointments, no advance selection of style.
My request was simple: Cut it off. Make it shoulder length. Layer it.

No dye job. It was “Black to Basics” for me. Black is my hair, so black it shall be. I am going au naturel. Back to my roots—literally.
As I sat in the chair listening to the snipping of the scissors, watching my locks fall to the floor, I felt wonderfully relieved.
For some reason unbeknownst to me, my happiness quotient increased with every inch taken away. Silently, I was willing the hairdresser’s fingers to chop off more inches. Strangely, an inner madness consumed me and I almost wanted to tell him to go “all the way” to give me a short bob. Fortunately, I did not articulate my thoughts.

I emerged from the salon 30 minutes later feeling lightheaded and walked home with a spring in my step. Off with my heavy mane. The wind played with the layers as I skipped along and I toyed with the idea of going shorter on my next visit.
Shorter, more carefree! Guess the previous style was way too long for me! =P


Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Girl i can't view your slideshow! it just won't load :( i wanna see your new haircut! (is it the same one as your previous post)?

britney is nuts to shave her head. but then again i can never understand the liberating feeling when cutting off my hair. i felt like crying instead everytime i see my stylist chop of inches of my hair!! i don't know why they just love doing that!! i hate seeing my waist long hair reduced to bra-length hair... *sobs*

11:21 AM  
Blogger I.V.Y. said...

Yep, it's the same. The length falls slightly below my shoulders.
Sigh. The slideshow wouldn't load hm? That Happens, too often.

Oh, but you look good with long waisted hair. I am too short to have waist length hair. If I grow it to that length again, I will try curling it!!! Yea! =P

1:55 PM  
Blogger Xinyi said...

Looking good Ivy:)!
I just chopped off a good 2+ inches off my hair too.. it's probably just marginally longer than yours. Yes, it does feel good without all that hair weighing me down!

5:32 PM  
Blogger I.V.Y. said...

Yep. A haircut does take away the weight. I know hair doesn't weigh much, but the difference can be felt.

I take inspiration from your crown of naturally jet black hair. Looking at your photos makes me remember the essence of true Asian beauty when it comes to physical attributes. Our underrated black crop of hair. Yes, that's something we need to embrace after all the Jap manga colour hype!
=)

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remembered the last time i trimmed my hair was after...hmm, my breakup last yr. i pity my hair because everytime I feel stress or upset, i vent it on my hair, haha! I went from bra-length to just beneath-the-ears length, can you imagine that! and yep.... the hair colour also drastically changed from light brown/gold to dark dark brown.

Cutting hair is liberating, I agree :)
But often, i will start to regret later for cutting it way too short.. :p

11:46 PM  
Blogger I.V.Y. said...

Oh. Seems that many gals like to cut their hair after a breakup. Maybe it's a form of protest to say "F$#k u guys who like us in your stereotypical long hair image".

Anyway, I think you look fine and lovely with short hair too.

And no worries for regrets. Hair grows back. Sooner or later. ;-)

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!