Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The lowdown on skinny

Have been feeling rather uninspired to post serious writing up here.
So, here’s another frivolous entry.

I was buying some toiletries in Watson’s when I came across a make shift shelf stocked with colorful candy packets. The latest Japanese sweets? I decided to examine them at closer range.


A promoter lurking around her counter sensed a potential customer and emerged from shadows. I soon learnt that this is the LATEST slimming product on the market.
Slimming candies imported from Japan. A best seller in both the Taiwanese and Japanese markets.
Apparently, it is made from Basil Seed and you drink a glass of water and then place it in your mouth to dissolve it slowly. When taken 30 minutes or more before your meals, it will curb your cravings and make you less hungry. The fibre in the sweet is supposed to expand by 30 times in your stomach, thereby sending signals to your brain that you are full.


It costs $14 a packet and the promotion is to buy 2 for $19.
Each packet contains 10 sweets.

I was horrified at the price! Seriously, if I have to pay to curb my cravings, it will most likely succeed. I am sure to lose my appetite when I am reminded of my empty wallet. Please ladies…this is sillier than the Cambridge Diet.


I walked away without buying but asked for a sample. After all, I can only afford to be critical if I have first hand experience on the product.

Verdict:
Tested on a particular day I had to go without my lunch till 4 p.m.
Didn’t make me feel full. But I did feel like puking. The sweet is pleasant tasting and as it dissolves, the dragon fruit-like seeds come off. It’s like chewing on tiny seeds. Indeed, it gives a sense of bloated emptiness but I felt quite ill--the eeky sick type of feeling. I ate something after that and felt much better.

What a stupid concept. If you really want to slim down, you might as well keep the money and drink water and feed on kiwis.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

hmmm... sounds like a rip-off :P i hate feeling bloated.. ugh... reminds me of those period days where i look and feel like a goldfish. goodness. and $1.40 for ONE SWEET?! you gotta be kidding me. LOL!!

hope you're feeling better already! i hate the wanna-puke-but-cannot-puke feeling too!! take care!!

1:51 PM  
Blogger I.V.Y. said...

Yea, it's ridiculous to pay such an exorbitant price for 1 single yucky sweet.

Yep, once there was food in my tummy, the sense of bloatedness went away. Lucky me. Not eating this again, even if it is given out for free. Haha.

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!