Thursday, April 13, 2006

Horror flick

On Tuesday, a stroke of inspiration led me to consider penning a potential local horror script …about a psychopath committing heinous, gruesome crimes in the tunnels of our indispensable MRT stations (Mass Rapid Transit). I began an animated discussion with my sister about its convoluted plot. Basically, my imagination went into overdrive (once again and ever too often) and one can almost hear the wheels and axles grinding away (pun unintended). My sister listened with the wry patience of an unfortunate sibling…cursed to live under the same roof as her trying sister. Seemingly, my liking for gore and macabre belies my fragile exterior and the details conjured up for the tale are explicitly ghastly. The lil’ sister occasionally let up some suppressed noises in between the storytelling session and nodded in attentive approval at the NC-16 worthy snippets. And that was my stress relieving fix for the week…. As for writing professionally, that may have to wait, even though I have always harbored a secret (and now, not so secret) desire to write for a weekly column in the national newspapers.

I perceive the likelihood to be on the low side, since it doesn’t take much of a talent to pen some nonsensical but highly readable entry. Then again, this may be a sweeping statement. I happen to come across some public writings which contain vocabulary boosting an incredible repertoire of ‘happy, cute, sad, nice…and what’s the word—keke’? Simply amazing! Perhaps one should take to reading the thesaurus as a leisure activity should this be the case. And by the way, I can never identify with the use of the word ‘keke’. It does not even belong in the category of onomatopoeia for even a hyena is incapable of producing such a noise! One should just stick with ‘Ha ha’, ‘Hee hee’ and the interesting ‘Hur hur’.

I guess the ‘meanie me’ is taking precedence over my being right now and making me overly critical. The usual benign Ivy tends to like sincere simplicity over bombastic pretentiousness both in speech and writing.
And so, apart from self admonishment, I shall retreat away for a session of confession and repentance. ;-)

Daily Trivia:
Ever wondered how fireflies emit out light?
One kid asked me that, and got me searching….So, here it is:

Fireflies or lightning bugs make light within their bodies. This process is called bioluminescence and is shared by many other organisms, mostly sea-living or marine organisms. Fireflies light up to attract a mate. To do this, the fireflies contain specialized cells in their abdomen that make light.
The cells contain a chemical called luciferin and make an enzyme called luciferase. To make light, the luciferin combines with oxygen to form an inactive molecule called oxyluciferin.
The wavelength of light given off is between 510 and 670 nanometers (pale yellow to reddish green color). The cells that make the light also have uric acid crystals in them that help to reflect the light away from the abdomen.


A beautiful night with fireflies. Have I ever witnessed this before? No, but I hope to in this lifetime...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!