Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Chinese New Year

After the exhausting spring cleaning I did, came the New Year visitations to my relatives' houses. Very very tiring.... Fun? Not really. But it was relaxing, cos I did not get any work done. Which explains why I am desperately catching up on my work now.
Conclusion: I am dog-tired after CNY. Wish June would come soon… Really looking forward to my new life outside academia.

Some CNY Photos:

Chinese New Year-Shot 1 (My sister, me and Aunt Catherine)


Me, My cousin-Philemon and Aileen


Ang Bao Mania--Happiness defined.

Daily Trivia: Much ado over 'Trans-fat'!
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) now requires food manufacturers to list trans fat (i.e., trans fatty acids) on Nutrition Facts and some Supplement Facts panels. Scientific evidence shows that consumption of saturated fat, trans fat, and dietary cholesterol raises low-density lipoprotein (LDL or "bad") cholesterol levels that increase the risk of coronary heart disease (CHD).
Unlike other fats, the majority of trans fat is formed when liquid oils are made into solid fats like shortening and hard margarine. However, a small amount of trans fat is found naturally, primarily in some animal-based foods. Essentially, trans fat is made when hydrogen is added to vegetable oil -- a process called hydrogenation. Hydrogenation increases the shelf life and flavor stability of foods containing these fats.
Trans fat, like saturated fat and dietary cholesterol, raises the LDL (or "bad") cholesterol that increases your risk for CHD.Trans fat can often be found in processed foods made with partially hydrogenated vegetable oils such as vegetable shortenings, some margarines (especially margarines that are harder), crackers, candies, cookies, snack foods, fried foods, and baked goods. Mentos (the only sweets i chew on in class) contain hydrogenated vegetable oils= trans fat...Eeeeeeks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!