Saturday, September 17, 2005

On a Lonely Friday Night

Life sucks. It’s the Friday before the start of the mid-term break. I am working in my Masters room alone and decided to make a trip to the library to return my book and zap some materials before it closes. There are many groups of students holding their Mooncake Festival celebration. Some are even carrying lighted paper lanterns. What a lovely sight it would make, except when you are feeling sucky, old, and deprived of a social life. =( But still, I take comfort in the knowledge that the Faculty grounds have yet to turn into a ghost town despite the late hours. That means, I still have much human ‘company’ around.

I think it’s important to take some time off to enjoy such ‘boliao’ activities in varsity. It makes a good reminiscing session when one’s mind is left to wander. I can vaguely remember my time as a Year 2 Entrepreneurship Society student, leisurely roaming the campus grounds on a full moon night, playing with some 50 cent lantern. Gone are the worries of impending term papers submission deadlines, and project presentations. It’s just me, the moon, the great company and my mooncake feast.

So, my advice to my friends who are still studying: Do nice things. Collect memories, live a very fruitful life. Interact with people. Enjoy your own solidarity moments, but get to know some people. Some people you meet will enrich your life and widen your horizons. And never, never just stick to your girlfriends and boyfriends. Have a life outside of your couple hood. Life is too short and precious to live only in the company of another fellow human being. That’s very limiting. Personal and social growth would be stunted and you can only do THAT much as a pair. (Disclaimer: Ivy is not responsible for conflicts caused by implanting seeds of discontentment in couples at large).

On a last note, I think NUS is really a safe place! I was in my Masters room and the campus security guard knocked and entered (I left the door opened, one shouldn’t be trapped in an air conditioned environment for prolonged hours) to check if everything’s fine. Nice to know that decomposing bodies will not be left alone for long in such an well patrolled environment. ;-)

Daily Trivia:
A fart is a combination of gases (nitrogen, carbon dioxide, oxygen, methane, and hydrogen sulfide) that travels from a person's stomach to their anus. When a person swallows too much air or eats foods that the human digestive system cannot digest easily gas becomes trapped in his/her stomach. The only way for this excess gas to exit the body is through the anus.

The gas that makes your farts stink is the hydrogen sulfide gas. This gas contains sulfur which causes farts to have a smelly odor. The more sulfur rich your diet, the more your farts will stink. Some foods that cause really smelly farts include: beans, cabbage, cheese, soda, and eggs.

A scientific name for a fart is flatus or flatulence.

Place to Visit: No particular place for today, just picture offerings of Topical Paradise from everywhere on Earth. Cos, the sun, sand and coconut trees makes good ol’ summer loving. And I am daydreaming of walking on white sandy beaches while freezing in a lonely small room.


The Seychelles


Maldive Islands


Matira Point, Bora Bora, French Polynesia (Good Honeymoon Destination, folks!!!)


Chill out in a Hammock, Maldives


Afterglow, Hawaii

2 Comments:

Blogger vinz said...

ur birthday is two days earlier than me..
hmmm.....
well, happy belated birthday to u!

read ur profile in wholivesnearyou.com, it brings me to ur blog.

:p

vinz

2:35 AM  
Blogger I.V.Y. said...

Thank you vinz!

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!