Sunday, October 29, 2006

I am a darn waffle

You know the book by John Gray entitled “Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus”? Well, I have not read it. Don’t think I would too. I would browse perhaps, but nope, not gonna pore over that one.

I chanced upon this other book along similar lines by Bill and Farrel called “Men are like waffles, women are like spaghetti” in Aileen’s room.



And yes, it’s another book that seeks to bring about the understanding between the sexes.

Essentially, the authors explain why a man is like a waffle (each element of his life is in a separate box), why a woman is like spaghetti (everything in her life touches everything else), and what these differences mean. Then they show readers how to achieve more satisfying relationships. It draws on biblical insights, sound research, humorous anecdotes, and real–life stories to make this guide entertaining and practical.

Well, it makes for light browsing, but I am never really attracted to reading this sort of relationship improvement books. I think that it is fallacious to believe that people of the two gender fall into just these two distinct categories.

Apparently, my profile falls under that of being a human waffle.

Why? A waffle is very focused when engaged in a certain activity. Social scientists call this behaviour “compartmentalization”—that is, putting life and responsibilities into different compartments.

I think many close friends and family members have found me rather exasperating company. Especially when I am working.

Reasons I am a “waffle”:

1. I am a problem solver. I enter a situation, size up the problem and then formulate a solution.

2. In communication, I look for the bottom line and get there as quickly as possible. After thinking it over mentally.

3. I take a "success" approach to communication. I am highly motivated to converse if I believe the outcome will be successful. If I feel the conversation is heading nowhere, I shut up and do other stuff.

Looks like I am too pragmatic.
But I find that it’s simply idiotic to analyze a problem to death when certain things are just apparent.


Famous Example:

Women tend to analyze their men and the actions they do. And come up with 10 reasons why he didn’t call after the first date.
As for me, the answer is simple. NOT INTERESTED enough.
Cos even if that fella is thick, ill-mannered or just too shy, if he was interested enough, he will ask you out again.
Simple logic. Yet, some women tend to connect apparently isolated facts then process the entire situation by interlinking all these facts together. What a terrible mess. And a very inaccurate one too!
So, like a rational little waffle, I tell my girlfriends not to their waste time over analyzing such stuff.
"Go get your beauty sleep, wake up looking like a fairy and get better dates in future!" I will urge.

That’s me. The waffle. Life’s a lot better this way.

Are waffles poor analyzers, and shallow thinkers? Nah…in fact, they have more time to do the really important stuff.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!