Thursday, September 07, 2006

Que Será, Será

Do you guys know this song sung by Doris Day? It’s called Que Sera Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be).
And it goes like this:

When I was just a little girl
I asked my mother, what will I be
Will I be pretty, will I be rich
Here's what she said to me:
Que Sera, Sera,
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours to see
Que Sera, Sera
What will be, will be.

I guess all of us have gone through primary/ secondary school writing an essay entitled “My Ambition”. I had a tough time with that one, because I already know that there are so many professions in the world that I can take up. I want to be a forensic pathologist, a mega bookstore entrepreneur, a fighter jet pilot, a detective (thanks to Nancy Drew) and the list goes on so I wonder why kids stop at aspiring to be a doctor or lawyer.
One fine day, in Primary 5, my Chinese teacher popped the class this million-dollar question again and when it was my turn, I stood up and with a steely resolve in my eyes answered, “I want to be the prime minister of Singapore.”
The idealism and naiveté of yesteryear have long since been replaced by a sense of world weariness. The coming of age of a pragmatic young adult helps to reinforce that although in theory, nothing is impossible, limitations do exist, especially when you are a woman and live in a certain environment.
Still, the world is my oyster and I am still left pondering what would become of me 15 years down the road. How very exciting. Maybe I should look for some inspiration from the past…


Set up my very own tour agency?


Be a world renowned pianist?


How about training to be a National Team swimmer?


Be a tiger tamer and travel with the circus?


Be a railway transport tycoon?


Have green fingers and be a botanist?


It would bring children great joy to visit any theme park. So, shall I just build a theme park and call it 'Happy World'?


That's one small step for Man, one giant leap for Mankind. So, fly me to the moon cos I wanna be an astronaut!


A dog trainer for the Central Narcotics Bureau--but those dogs are HUGE!


Be part of the engineering team for Sentosa Express?


Just marry a prince to be a princess and live in a palace. Then appear on balconies to do a royal wave once in a while to appease the taxpayers...


Be an explorer, go on an expedition to the Arctic and see the polar bears!


Be the CEO of a broadcasting corporation and set up a 'Cartoon Network' like channel


But my ultimate ambition is to be a teleco magnate. Cheers to the $$ rolling in from all your yakking, texting and ringtones download. MUAHAHAHA!

P/S Yes, if you haven't noticed, all those shots are of me, the young Ivy. =)

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Angel Feathers Tickle Me said...

Love to all.......

1:37 AM  
Blogger Senor Cheeseburger said...

you are too skinny, eat a sandwich!
p.s. I caught the stingray that killed Steve Irwin! Check it out! Give that stingray a piece of your mind

1:52 AM  
Blogger I.V.Y. said...

You're always asking me to eat a sandwich! What I need to do is to turn cannibalistic and chomp you down! =p
Anyway, it's rather sad that our Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin was killed by a stingray.
In Singapore, we would marinate it in nice sambal/ belachan chilli and BBQ it! So, hand it over...

2:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!