Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Brainworks

Our brain is like a muscle. Don’t give it a regular workout and it will turn flabby.
For 8 hours of my life on weekdays, I feel my brain wasting away. It scorns at the tasks it is made to work on, complaining that they limit optimal performance. Maybe I should put it on my desk one day while I work. Ha!

My brain is underused, I am nevertheless overworked and I am a grouchy walking time bomb.


Mind Boggling Brain Facts (by Dr. Dan Korow)
• Weighs only 2-3 pounds

• Compactly designed to fit inside the human skull

• Contains about 10 billion neurons, and 100 billion glial cells

• Has an estimated 100 trillion synapses (neuron interconnections)

• Performs 1015 computations per second

• Holds at least 1014 bits (binary digits) of information

• Potential brain capacity is estimated at 20 million books- filling a 500 mile bookshelf

• Filters irrelevant stimuli or information from important data

• Directs and controls sequential brain activity like a “Central Programming Unit”

• Recalls facts and events

• Recognizes objects and faces

• Remembers navigational routes

• Reasons, plans & solves complex problems

• Comprehends written & verbal languages

• Develops & fine tunes grammatical & pronunciation skills

• Appreciates visual beauty & the musical arts

• Intimately associated with emotional states, morals, and behaviors

• Regulates & coordinates tissue function from the cellular level leading to muscle activity

• Initiates innovative and creative activity

• Senses humor

• Integrates all the above features and yet functions as one unit!

Gosh, seems like we are under-utilizing our brains most time. Come on, stretch it!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger min said...

talk about under-utilizing...

i think my brain has reduced to a pea size now. LOL!

im doing brainless work!

helppppp!!

12:35 PM  
Blogger I.V.Y. said...

Wow, so I am not alone. Why do we do the things we do and subject our poor brains to premature degeneration? =_=
Sigh, all in the name of earning a living.

2:53 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

mine's probably either evaporated or have already exploded in extreme frustration. HELP!!! lol!

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!