Saturday, February 16, 2013

How to Ace Valentine's Day

For me, special occasions are meant to be celebrated. Yes, they have been commercialized and manipulated by businesses for bigger profits but it makes me happy to be pleased.
So, instead of pretending I do not care for it (when I obviously do), I am open to alternative arrangements as long as I still have the works.

Pre-Valentine's Day Dinner:  Dining Sun@ Chijmes. One of my favorite restaurants. They do Japanese cuisine well enough by my standards.
We got a table without reservation upon entering the restaurant. This enhanced my mood and made me enjoy my meal more. This time around, I learnt not to over order, and the portions were satisfying without over stuffing our stomachs.
(On a side note: I was out running errands in the mall and the queues were awful on Valentine's Day at every eatery. I would have been very crabby queuing up for a table.)

Flowers: I love flowers. I never reject flower gifts although I think anything over 10 stalks should be reconsidered. If my significant other were to be willing to splash out a hundred plus bucks for a bouquet, I would rather get a bottle of perfume. It is after all, the essence of tonnes of distilled flowers. They make my day when I wear it, and a bottle goes a looooong way. Flowers, on the other hand wilt.
So here is my bouquet. One day after 14 February, the prices dropped. The lady at the neighbourhood wet market said on Valentine's Day, a stalk of rose cost $5. One day later, it costs $1.50. This entire bouquet costs a mere $16 and it gave me the same satisfaction.


There you have it.
For the women folk, if you want something; if it would make you happy, don't pretend it does not matter. Guys take your words at face value. Don't sulk in secret or expect them to decipher the nuances in your statements.
For the males, don't say that certain gestures are not within your budget. It is pretty easy to work your way around it to give the same experience your woman deserves for much less.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!