Thursday, December 27, 2012

App-ing religion

It happens everytime. This pang of sadness.
The pastor says "Turn to ...verse" and majority of the congregation whip out their smartphones and activate whichever bible app they have downloaded.
I miss the days of hearing the rustling of bible thin pages. I miss the days of finding bibles behind pews.
I am no technophobe but sometimes, I wish we bring back the good old simple days. I am glad I have experienced those days and they remain in my memory keepsake box. It is with regret that the children of today will not share in this nostalgia.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sensei Michael said...

Who knows if our children will miss the days of having an app inside a smartphone as their Bible.

They may well say, "It is with regret that the children of today will not share in this nostalgia."

The times and epochs have changed, xiaomei.

7:18 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Oppss, I'm one of those on the Bible App Bandwagon. This "syndrome" isnt too prevalent in my Church, but I do agree that I'll definitely miss the sounds of the congregation flipping pages when it happens (though I will not miss lugging my super HEAVY Bible around - I've had it dropped on my toes twice already and it's no laughing matter). I justify it with the ability to read the Word on the go :)

7:38 PM  
Blogger I.V.Y. said...

Michael: Yes, indeed. I cannot imagine myself as a grandparent and reminiscing alongside my children while watching the little kiddos play.

Jenn: I use the Bible app too and it is so useful and weightless. ;-)

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!